Wednesday 8 January 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Enjoy Life!





Insecure Writer's Support Group is a blog hop hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh where totally insecure writers can get together and share the things that are making us go argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        This month my post is less about what I'm insecure about (everything!) and more about a habit that I have of dreaming so big it stops me from appreciating the small things. Let's face it, the chances of a writer making it big are slim. Yet who among us hasn't daydreamed about our books hitting a best seller list or being made into a movie? I do it all the time. It's gotten to the point where I've even planned overseas trips based on my future success. All this before I've even written the first draft of my novel. The other day I stumbled upon this quote:


It got me thinking about my current wishful habits and I realised that I will only ever have one debut novel. I may go on to write dozens of books and with any luck they may be well received but this time, right now is the time that I should be relishing. Everything I do at this stage is new and a scary kind of exciting. I shouldn't wish that away hoping for something that may never come. I will only have one round of firsts and even if there are better days to come they won't have that same feeling of fresh anticipation. So I've decided that from now on I will keep a lid on the dreaming and try to remember to enjoy life as it is, right now. Happy New Year everyone. Looking forward to another year of sharing encouragement with you.

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy the ride. It's not what could be but what is happening right now that matters most. And yes, you'll only have one first novel. No matter what it is or how well it does, it will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daydreaming about such things isn't bad, per se, unless you use those daydreams to stop you from doing what you need to do. And it's so true there is only one debut novel. Enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. It was exactly what I needed to kick me in the butt to get back to my novel.....the new one...the old one, I realized it sucked...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making it big is definitely one of those very slim chances, and even if you can make your mark, it doesn't last forever. I've learned a lot since publishing and I know I have so much more to learn along the way. You are SO RIGHT about enjoying life. So many people don't and I think that contributes to a lot of the sadness and regrets people have. I'm working on my next novels, but I don't want writing (or even my day job) to get in the way of having fun and really enjoying life.

    Keep on keeping on and know that I'm here for you for encouragement and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think dreams can be a big motivator, but like you said, they shouldn't keep you from enjoying what you have right now. So have fun, Lan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only want to get past the debut novel because I don't see it as anything more special than future books. I want to have quite a few books under my belt, so I dream more about that time!

    But, I agree that you sometimes need to stop and smell the roses because you may pass them up, and never get another chance. We're on a long journey, so we need to learn to enjoy the ride for what it is and not worry about the finish line. I mean, where even is the finish line?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!!! I wish I could just stress less and enjoy what's happening now, appreciate it for what it is. I'm going to try a lot harder this year not to stress (which I know wasn't really the point of this post, but that's what it made me think of ;)). Not a bad thing to have wishes but definitely better if you can enjoy the now! Hope you're doing well, Lan!
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are SO right! We have no idea how long we have on this planet. Might as well enjoy the days we do.

    Good Luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that's a great perspective -- I know that one of the things I say to myself these days, whenever I begin a new project, is that I'll probably look back later on with the most fondness at the moment of the project's conception.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the most important lessons we can learn and often it's the hardest.

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)