Wednesday 15 June 2011

Random Rambling of a Procrastinating Writer

So you’ve probably figured out by now that I’m very new to this book blogging/review business. See lack of notable numbers of reviews.
 
I started the blog as a way to connect with other avid readers and to share my thoughts on the books that I’ve read that I can’t seem to stop obsessing over (Hunger Games Trilogy & Vampire Academy Series to name a few). It is also meant to be my outlet to share frustrations and triumphs along the road to (hopeful) publication but it’s fast becoming another writing project to me. Which is great for writing experience, but I keep getting distracted by all the other amazing blogs and reviews out there.
 
For example, I was reading Rebecca-books blog last night and then decided that I NEEDED to go and watch the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice again so there went the rest of the night. (BTW Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle ARE Elizabeth and Darcy. No arguments accepted).
 
I was probably one of those kids that got distracted by flashing lights and pretty colours because I seem to lose my train of thought very easily. Being connected to the internet 24/7 doesn’t help either. The sheer volume of book review blogs our there are mind boggling, but in a way comforting. Reading is not a dying pastime as many would have us believe.
 
I digress though, this post is meant to be about my work in progress (see how easily I get side-tracked?). Am I the only one who has an ideal about what being a writer involves? Possibly sitting in a chic coffee house with a laptop open, typing away diligently as the world rushes by? Instead I’m snatching a hour here and there between full time work, friends, family, tv and of course reading. No wonder I’m quickly descending into a stark raving insomniac.
 
Still, there’s a silver lining in there somewhere and that lining is an almost finished YA urban fantasy novel. Scary but also satisfying at the same time. Hopefully it won’t all be in vain.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about distractions, every day I get back from work and think, I've got half an hour to do some writing, ooh what's that a blgo update by... then I have to go out again, I come home and think about writing and get drawn into blogs or facebook, so I end up writing far less than i want to every week.

    I've written one complete YA fantasy novel and working on my second. BUt getting the life of a writer is definitely hard work.
    I wish you luck on your endeavor. Maybe we'll both get published one day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky I think we must live parallel lives. I am a constant FB and Blog stalker. Which means I never get anything done. Finger Crossed for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same. My first book was written on commission so i had no excuses for not finishing it - but my YA urban fantasy romance kept getting sidetracked with all sorts of things...blog stalking being one of them! Bk one in the series is now done but supposed to be doing Bk2...which explains why Im here on your blog at 12 midnight! lol Forever sleepless.

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)